Page Loading

Starting your own business

Support provided by Business Gateway

What does this involve?

When you run a business as a sole trader, you are self-employed. That means you’re responsible for paying the right tax and National Insurance contributions at the right time. You must register as self-employed with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) when you start your business – a penalty may apply if you delay this too long.

Read the Business Gateway guide to starting your own business to see what’s involved in being a sole trader.

This free guide looks at:

  • getting started
  • types of National Insurance
  • keeping financial records
  • registering to complete Self Assessment tax returns online
  • paying your tax and National Insurance contributions
  • growing your business

Am I eligible?

Yes, if you are thinking about starting, or already run, a business in Scotland.

What does this cost?

This is a free and impartial service.

Who is this for?

Any potential start-up or new business based in Scotland.

How long does this take?

Take 10 minutes to read up on starting your own business as a sole trader.

Important information

You cannot register your business until you’ve begun trading. You are officially trading when you’ve advertised your products or services or have your first customer.

Next steps

Visit the Business Gateway website for lots of advice on starting your own business.

Support provided by Business Gateway